Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Going with the kids  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Scatter

Going with the kids
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:34:33 AM »

My parents moved out with me when I left for college because they hated to stay in the same house alone (since my sister had also left). Just a few months and they already missed the hometown where everything was easy and familiar, so they went back. Eventually, we got used to the distance and just visited each other during the breaks. Now my parents seem to enjoy the empty nest a bit too much!

For the seniors here, did you ever consider the option of going with the kids?

Offline Melee

Re: Going with the kids
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
I'm not a senior, but this type of thing has sort of happened in my family. In my case, when my mom became a senior, after her husband passed away she moved to the same city where I was. We didn't live together, but we lived right around the corner from each other, and I was at her place almost daily for years and years.

One of my aunts went through something similar where her mom (my darling grandmother) lived right around the corner from her, or in the exact same apartment complex as she did. They were never apart, and always lived just steps away from each other even after my aunt got married (and divorced) twice.
I think it's a natural thing to want to be close to your kids, no matter how old they are. :smileyholdingflower:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »

Offline ava

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
Well, I think the urge to want to move with the kids is one that most people struggle with. I know an aunt of mine who had a hard time letting go of her first-born daughter plus my cousin could hear none of her parents moving to the same city as hers. It is interesting that soon after ,most couples get used to the empty nest.

Offline Scatter

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:40:44 PM »
I'm not a senior, but this type of thing has sort of happened in my family. In my case, when my mom became a senior, after her husband passed away she moved to the same city where I was. We didn't live together, but we lived right around the corner from each other, and I was at her place almost daily for years and years.

One of my aunts went through something similar where her mom (my darling grandmother) lived right around the corner from her, or in the exact same apartment complex as she did. They were never apart, and always lived just steps away from each other even after my aunt got married (and divorced) twice.
I think it's a natural thing to want to be close to your kids, no matter how old they are. :smileyholdingflower:
Your story sounds like a nice solution: not living together but still somewhere nearby for an emergency. How did you like it?

Well, I think the urge to want to move with the kids is one that most people struggle with. I know an aunt of mine who had a hard time letting go of her first-born daughter plus my cousin could hear none of her parents moving to the same city as hers. It is interesting that soon after ,most couples get used to the empty nest.
The distance was scary, but we learned that we were not completely removed from each other if we tried harder than usual to keep in touch. It didn't necessarily heal the empty spot in our hearts, but better than nothing at all.

Offline Melee

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:29:46 AM »

Your story sounds like a nice solution: not living together but still somewhere nearby for an emergency. How did you like it?

I not only liked living around the corner from my mom, I absolutely loved it. She spoke with such wisdom and seemed to know something about everything. I loved being around her as much as possible.

When I was younger, we didn't get along all that well, other people in the family seemed to be her favorites, without question. As she got older I was there for her and she got to know me better. As she got older she was still very, shall we say "feisty" with me, but we got along. Every day with her was fabulous, even the not so great days... those happened but we got past them.

I love being around people who are quite a bit older than me, people in their 80's and 90's. They have so much life experience. They have seen so much, gone through so much, survived so much. If they are in their 60's and 70's that's okay too, but the 80's and 90's to me are the "sweet spot."

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:29:46 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms