Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Restaurant omelettes not safe bet  (Read 588 times)

Offline JustUs2

Restaurant omelettes not safe bet
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »
I ordered an omelette at IHOP thinking it was a safe, low-carb option since I skipped the hash browns, toast, and other extras.  I offhandedly remarked to the server that I can't get my omelets as fluffy as theirs.  Imagine my surprise when she let me know it's because they add pancake batter to their eggs while making the omelettes.  It keeps the omelette fluffy and helps ensure the omelette will stick together when the cook flips it over.  Each restaurant probably puts their own spin on it which might not include added carbs.  I just wanted to point it out because it threw me for a loop today.

Empty Nest Moms

Restaurant omelettes not safe bet
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »

Offline celebratelife

Re: Restaurant omelettes not safe bet
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
Wow, thanks for that note, I would've never guessed! That's a very sneaky way for carbs to hide, that's for sure. I think it's especially hard when eating out because it's harder to know what they use to make everything. Also, I find that restaurants generally use a lot of salt in my opinion.

Offline Treasure

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
I wouldn't have ever guessed it either! It can get so tricky eating low-carb when you go out somewhere with all of these hidden things. It's a nifty trick honesty, wish I'd thought of it back in my "I can eat whatever I want" phase, but it's definitely not a good one for me now. I agree, JustUs2, they use way too much salt!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms