Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Budgeting  (Read 807 times)

Offline Treasure

Budgeting
« on: December 29, 2017, 04:09:57 AM »
So I really want to get into eating healthier/losing a bit of weight (especially after all my holiday feasting!). I haven't done a whole lot of dieting in the past, just sort of tried not to eat junk food, but I really want to give this a try after reading the promising results on here. I've been looking around for tasty low-carb recipes and a lot of the ones I've found are pretty expensive. How do you diet on a budget without sacrificing too much taste?

Empty Nest Moms

Budgeting
« on: December 29, 2017, 04:09:57 AM »

Offline MaryB

Re: Budgeting
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
The best diets and long term success is push yourself away from the table.  But good luck with that!  I have to avoid sugar, period.  That's my trick.
What ever works for you, I wish you success.   :big hug smiley sign:

Offline haidyl

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
I will also have to avoid sugar this coming year because the festivities have mainly been about indulging in junk. I know it won't be easy because I have been here many times before but hopefully, I can do this with a fair budget.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »

Offline amsmomm

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:07:22 PM »
You've got that right - healthy eating is expensive! I try to buy more frozen vegetables when they are on sale and use them in recipes. I also stock up on boneless skinless chicken when it's $1.88 cents a pound. It's very healthy and I can use it in many recipes. So, watch for sales and stock up on items that will freeze when you can.

Offline Treasure

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 12:08:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do my best to avoid sugar but man, it's so hard! Hopefully over-indulging on sweets during the holidays will help curb my sugar appetite. Good advice about the frozen vegetables and chicken! Maybe it's time to get that Costco membership I've been meaning to get too.

Offline amsmomm

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
I'm a member of Sam's Club but I find that the local grocery stores have better sales on meat. It seems like once a month, boneless skinless chicken on sale for $1.99 a pound.

Good luck and let us know how you are making out with the lifestyle change.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »

Offline CalamityJane

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
I just can't make it without certain items. I don't even think it's about the carbs - I think it's the habit, texture, flavor, whatever. So, twice a month I place an order for low carb products like bread, bagels, pasta, sugar free candy, etc. It costs me about $200 a month to do it, but all I really need to add to the regular grocery bill for myself are vegetables, cheese, eggs, and veggie meat.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms