Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Bread  (Read 820 times)

Offline Kidless

Bread
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:59:21 AM »
I need a good recipe for  no carb bread.  I have one for Cloud Bread that I have tried twice now but it doesn't come out to suit me.  It comes out more like a batter than what it's supposed to be.  Help!!

Empty Nest Moms

Bread
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:59:21 AM »

Offline JustUs2

Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
I can share what my husband and I have tried, but I have to tell you that we were never that into bread.  I think low-carb eating might be tougher for white bread eaters.  But when you get down to it, white bread isn't healthy and it's just a matter of making substitutions and tempering your expectations. 

I'm not sure if you read Jeanine's reply to Katie-Ann about biscuits so I'm linking here.  Jeanine's idea about using wraps (pita, tortillas) has worked well for us.  I particularly like Mission's low-carb tortillas.  Udi's whole grain bread is pretty good and has 11 carbs per slice, but the stuff is expensive compared to regular bread.  You can buy a mix like Bob Red's Mill low-carb option.  I liked it a lot, but my husband did not.  He felt that the texture was chewy.  You can make your own low-carb with almond flour as well, but I haven't done that in a while.  I like to make cloud bread into pancakes, then I scramble an egg and roll it up into the pancake.  It's a hearty breakfast. 

I hope some of this helps. 

Offline Kidless

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
Thanks JustUs2.  I followed the link and there are some good suggestions there.  We are trying to cut out bread all together and have done a good job so far.  I saw a number on my scales this morning that I haven't seen since March of this year.  I'm excited!! :13:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
You have the right attitude, Kidless!  Since my husband has started the low-carb diet, his blood pressure has stabilized and the doctor pulled him off his blood pressure medicine.  He still checks it from time to time to make sure everything is okay, but so far so good.

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Alas, I have yet to find a good replace for 'real' bread but the wraps do work well, especially for a sandwich.

I also like the Mission brand JU2. They have a 'flour' one that I like for the sandwich and a wheat on that I like for the cinnamon sugar 'toast'. I put butter in the pan then the wrap, make sure you get butter on both sides then sprinkle low carb CS on both sides. It's good in place of toast with breakfast or you can add some fresh strawberries/blueberries then some 0 carb whipped cream (Land of Lakes). Makes a good dessert!

Don't forget about the no bake cream cheese pies you can make also! Yummie!!!

I think that is great that your hubby is able to get off his blood pressure medicine. This low carb eating is really great for a lot of health 'issues'. I always say if you can treat something the more natural way (eating right) then that is much better then having to take meds any day!

Keep up the good work ladies and we need to start sharing some more recipes. :snowman: :wavysanta:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms