Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hard Headed Folks  (Read 2168 times)

Offline LinBabb

Hard Headed Folks
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
My parents are up there in age and both live on their own. Luckily, they are still able to take care of their selves for the most part, but they are both hard headed. One still smokes even though the doctor said to quit. The other's vision and reflexes are slowly going, but still insist on driving. I'm often left wondering what I am going to do with them.

Empty Nest Moms

Hard Headed Folks
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »

Offline MaryB

Re: Hard Headed Folks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
First of all,  I love your lil icon there!!!!  That is too cute!!!

I think it's great your parents are still so much alive.  Since I miss mine for so many years now,  I suggest  you  love and hug your parents extra, for me!   :big hug smiley sign:

Offline Flower

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »
Some of them definitely don't make it easy on us as they move into their golden years. My dad reminds me so much of my grandmother when she was his age and the funny thing is that she used to drive him crazy. Now he's the one driving me crazy! I think all we can do is be there for them and try to keep them mentally and physically active, but we also need to make some tough decisions, like taking car keys away.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

Offline cherie

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
My parents are up there in age and both live on their own. Luckily, they are still able to take care of their selves for the most part, but they are both hard headed. One still smokes even though the doctor said to quit. The other's vision and reflexes are slowly going, but still insist on driving. I'm often left wondering what I am going to do with them.
Sorry to ask, but is there a bit of that hardheadedness in you too? (just kidding). See, all you can do is play your part in just telling them the facts. It's been said that it is hard to quit smoking so I am not surprised that your dad hasn't decided to quit yet. At the end of they day, your duty is to show them love all the time, despite the challenges.

Offline BettyBoop

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
The smoking issue is a done deal.  If he/she has smoked this long the chances of quitting are slim.  I have an older friend that sounds terrible when she coughs and still smokes one right after the other.  She says she will never quit.  I guess all you can do is love them and take care of them the best you can. 

Offline PattyG

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
As frustrating as my parents can be, I try to imagine what it must feel like to gradually lose much of the freedom they had when they were younger. I can only imagine how stubborn I will be when my own children think they can tell me what to do!

I agree that smoking is a done deal. The doctor is currently trying to get my mom off some prescription pain medicine that she's been taking for years and all I can think is "Why bother?". At a certain point, I think we should just let the elderly have their small joys.

The driving thing is concerning.
Perhaps a doctor's note can help to get his license revoked. I know it's harsh but it's what we had to do with my father. He was practically blind with cataracts and he was still being caught driving around town!
Nowadays he catches the bus (against my wishes, I might add). It's better than driving I suppose.

Personally, I try not to infringe upon their freedom. They're still rational and sane minded (well one of them is for sure) and deserve to be treated like adults.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »

Offline horizon

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:40:52 AM »
That is probably their ways of resisting the aging process, more emotionally than physically. It's not easy to accept being dependent on others, or having to limit ourselves from the things we love in our early days. When scolding doesn't work anymore, all we can do is to support them when they need us.

Good point, Patty, about letting them enjoy their small joys. I would still monitor how much they smoke every day, though, because I also want to have them around as long as possible.

Offline girlchild34

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »
That is probably their ways of resisting the aging process, more emotionally than physically. It's not easy to accept being dependent on others, or having to limit ourselves from the things we love in our early days. When scolding doesn't work anymore, all we can do is to support them when they need us.

Good point, Patty, about letting them enjoy their small joys. I would still monitor how much they smoke every day, though, because I also want to have them around as long as possible.
Good point there, especially because it has never been easy to age. Now that you have mentioned it, I do think that these kind of reactions could be happening subconsciously. Hope you can still find a few things to laugh about, despite their hardheadedness.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms