Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do we become free babysitters?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline JustUs2

Do we become free babysitters?
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
Just as I was crowing to you all about how much I enjoy having an empty nest, my son hit me up with a biggie.  His wife wants to go back to work and does not enjoy being a stay at home mom.  it would help their financial standing too.  They cannot afford to pay a private babysitter or for group daycare.  Instead, my son and daughter-in-law would like for us to split daily babysitting duties with the other set of grandparents.  They would take them one week until 6:30 pm, then we would take them the next week.  This would include school pick up for the my oldest granddaughter.  My grandson, on the other hand, would be with the sitter all day until 6:30 pm each weekday.  My husband and I aren't sure we're up for this.  Well, we truthfully want to say no to the plan all together.  Not sure what to do here.  Any advice?

Empty Nest Moms

Do we become free babysitters?
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »

Offline Tesla

Re: Do we become free babysitters?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »

You don't say how old the grandson is.  Would it be for more than a year?  What about when school is out?  Would you have them both?  I realize you want to help out but this will be like raising children all over again.  The plus is you wouldn't have to do it every week.  You would at least get every other week off.  I would pray hard over this and see what you are led to do.  Please let us know. 
 :big hug smiley sign:

Offline MaryB

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
MOVE!!!  MOVE NOW!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
MOVE!!!  MOVE NOW!
:rofl: 
Are you saying you wouldn't be willing to babysit dear Mary?

Justus2, we have a section here that discusses online jobs, maybe that could be a solution.  Or could she work part-time instead where your son could stay with his children while she worked?  I struggled with staying home too, but my husband and I would never dream of asking our parents to provide childcare unless one of us was in the hospital dying. 

Offline Kidless

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 05:55:48 AM »

MOVE!!!  MOVE NOW!
LOL,LOL MaryB.  My husband let it be known when the kids moved out we were not built in baby sitters.  We have much life left and we want to enjoy it while we have the time.  We love our grandchildren, but don't want to raise them.  Once was enough.  Say no in the politest way possible and be prepared for repercussions over the next month or so.  It will all work out. 
 :13:

Offline MaryB

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »
 :039:   hee hee..  well she is so happy with her new found freedom...  you know she'd be raising her grands now..   not fair.  We're suppose to get the joys of the babies and send them home.  It's our turn now, right!   :jiggly smiley:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »

Offline CatMom

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
I'm just curious, are the other grandparents up for the arrangement? It sounds like an awful lot of work and doesn't leave you much time to do what you want or even need to do.

I'll admit, my mother took the girls everyday after school for years, but that was more her doing than mine. She wanted to spend time with them. It's a bit different though to have kiddos for a few hours in the afternoon than from dawn to dusk each day.

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »
The other grandparents are up for the arrangement and to be honest, they don't feel like we do our part to help my son and their daughter.  But in our defense, we got him through college and bought him a car, so he started his grown up life without any debt.  We also spent most our savings to take care of our elderly parents.  After facing that, we bought insurance so that our son wouldn't have to deal with that added expense.  Getting old is expensive.

I'm still not sure what we're going to do.  We'd take care of them in a heartbeat if someone was ill or if it was short term.  But, this whole thing has no end in sight.  I'll show my son the work at home options, but I think she's wanting out of the house.  I understand how hard it is to be a stay at home mom. 

Offline Tesla

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 06:00:41 AM »
Bless  her heart!  We've all been through the stay at home mom phase for at least a while.  It's no fun, I admit, but we got through it.  Surely there are mother's day out programs around. She may even be able to find part time work and put them in daycare for a few hours a day rather than full time.  If you say no and the other grandparents say yes, then that's half the expense.  Day care every other week.   That's the plan. 

Offline Shel45

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
Ugh! That sure is asking a lot. I could see taking them for a couple of days a week but a week at a time is a lot. I'd just tell them that it's too much. Offer what you are willing to do. Every little bit helps with cost of daycare.

Offline LinBabb

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
In all honesty this is such a normal thing for my family, for family members to watch each others kids, that I forget some people don't operate that way. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, just let your son and daughter in law know that it's not something you are interested in.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
LinBabb, that's great that everyone helps out.  I think that's how it is suppose to be, but this sounds like grandma would be raising children all over again.  A bit difference from helping out, but maybe I'm thinking wrong. 

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms