Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Low Carb Coconut Torte  (Read 586 times)

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
Low Carb Coconut Torte
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »

This also comes in Chocolate! If you click on the link then click on the product when you get to the page, scroll down a bit and you will see a link for 'low carb recipes' that use these products. Most of them you can 'tweak' a bit to suit yourself.

NOTE: I know the recipe calls for 15-17 minutes but I would start checking at least 5-7 minutes before. All ovens vary and you don't want it to dry out!

I made one today, pic on bottom!

Low Carb Coconut Torte

1/2 Carb Counters Low Carb White Cupcake and Frosting Mix  (#1 Bag)
  • 1/2 cup - egg whites (4 large or extra large egg whites)
  • 1/3 cup - sour cream (regular or fat free)
  • 1 frosting packet (included in the cake mix) (#2 bag)
  • 8 oz - block of cream cheese (regular or fat free)
  • 6 Tablespoons - unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon - coconut flavoring (optional) or 1/4 cup additional coconut flakes, ground.
  • Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with non-stick coating spray.
    In medium size mixing bowl, prepare cake mix batter according to label directions, add the coconut flavoring or ground coconut and pour into baking pan instead of the cupcake tins and smooth out evenly. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
  • In small mixing bowl, add the frosting packet, softened cream cheese and butter. Mix with spoon until smooth and creamy.*
  • Cut the chilled cake into 3 - 4" wide pieces . Place first cake piece onto serving plate or aluminum foil and lightly spread 1/2 cup frosting evenly over it, sprinkle 1/4 of the coconut flakes over frosting and repeat layers with other two pieces. Sprinkle remaining unsweetened coconut over cake. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Freezes well for up to one month.
  • Makes 9 - 1" wide servings, 3 net carbs per serving. Enjoy!
  • Like extra sweet frosting? Stir additional low carb sweetener -equal to 1/2 cup sugar -into the frosting/cream cheese.

Offline JustUs2

Re: Low Carb Coconut Torte
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
Jeanine, thank you for sharing the recipe for this yummy treat!  I made two of these on Saturday.  I added extra Stevia to the torte we kept at home for our consumption, but did not add anything extra to the torte I took to church.  Both were absolutely delicious!  I got lots of compliments thanks to you.  It's good to know that we can indulge in sweet treats every now and then without blowing our low carb diet.

Offline Tesla

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:08:54 AM »
This looks amazing Jeanine.  Where's my spoon??  LOL!!  My mother in law was diabetic and I came across a recipe for a sugar free Jell-O dessert.  It was delicious.  It had fruit, shredded carrots, and a sugar free topping.  She loved it so much that the next week she made it and improved it.  Regular Jell-O, no sugar free anything plus all the fruit she shouldn't have.  I gave up trying to help after that.  We still laugh about it today. 

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
If  you like Banana Nut Bread, you can leave out the coconut and add about an inch or two of a banana mashed up and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 chopped pecans and it taste just like it. :)

Glad you enjoyed yours.  :13:

Offline MaryB

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
Oh my gosh, DROOL!!!!!    :13:

Offline CatMom

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
This looks amazing. I'm going to have to try it out myself, especially with the additional rave reviews it's gotten. Though I may spring for trying the banana bread version. It's something I can't keep myself away from, so a less carb-filled option would be a godsend. Thanks for sharing Jeanine!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms