Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: "Milk Doors" (or when Milk was delivered)  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
"Milk Doors" (or when Milk was delivered)
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »
Betcha I get you on this one! :) Remember when they use to deliver milk in the glass jars? A lot of homes (our first one did back in the late 60's) had what they called 'milk doors', usually by your back door.  They were just big enough to hold two or three gallons, or whatever you order. You had a door inside and one outside that the milk man used. He usually came very early in the morning. That was convenient at the time.

Offline SpotOn

Re: "Milk Doors"
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
I don't remember the milk doors but we had little outside square containers with a lid. The milkman was part of my culture as far back as I can remember, then, he just disappeared. The society was a little more personable back then, and really, had more respect for the working person when you got the chance to see one of us dinosaurs up close two to three times per week, even up on "Knob Hill". I think Americans and America have lost something, so sad.

Offline Elizabeth

Re: "Milk Doors" (or when Milk was delivered)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
I can remember when we had milk delivered to our house. We didn't have one of those door thingys you are talking about but he always left it at the back door. Things have really changed over the years, some in good ways some not so much.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms