Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Do You Remember the Price of Things?  (Read 4290 times)

Offline SpotOn

Do You Remember the Price of Things?
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
Remember when a Coke was only ten cents from a machine, or when a phone call from a booth, what's that?, was also a dime? If you do then tell us some of your memories of what items cost you back when. I can remember my parents buying two full carts overflowing with groceries for under fifty dollars! What do you recall?

Offline MaryB

Re: Do You Remember the Price of Things?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
I just passed a coke machine, at the hospital and seen it was 50 cents..  It shocked me since I thought they were like a dollar now!  It's unbelievable how much things cost now.
Oh yes, I remember mom and dad coming home with full brown bags of groceries!  Real food!  Today they are tiny plastic bags and cant afford meat. 
How about the old tube tv's!  I remember going to M&M hardware with my dad to check the tubes!

Offline SpotOn

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
I just passed a coke machine, at the hospital and seen it was 50 cents..  It shocked me since I thought they were like a dollar now!  It's unbelievable how much things cost now.
Oh yes, I remember mom and dad coming home with full brown bags of groceries!  Real food!  Today they are tiny plastic bags and cant afford meat. 
How about the old tube tv's!  I remember going to M&M hardware with my dad to check the tubes!

I remember going to the corner drug store to test the tv tubes on their machine for my dad. The guy was always behind the tv replacing tubes or fiddling with the antenna. Ah, those were the days, NOT! Sometimes, even though I feel that the prices of things have gotten way out of hand, I still am grateful for some of the things that we have Today, such as the internet. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to talk to one another so easily on this forum.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
I am thankful for remote control for the tv's.  Growing up I was my dad's remote!   :rofl:

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:34 AM »
Yes, I'm very thankful for remotes although it seems like everything has one now so it's hard keeping up with all of them!  :rofl:

Do any of you remember when 'penny' candy use to cost a penny? You could load up for for a quarter (if you had one). :cutecheerleader:

Offline Lyndish

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »
Oh yes, I remember going to the cornershop with the penny-a-sweet jars and loading my little white paper bag up and handing across a few coins. Half the fun was swapping outside the shop because everyone had got something different. It's hard to find anywhere doing that now, although there's a few places that do it by weight.

Offline cherie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:44:38 AM »
I am thankful for remote control for the tv's.  Growing up I was my dad's remote!   :rofl:
Ooh yes, being dad's remote was both fun and tiring at times. As you say, the price of things seems to have spiralled out of control. At the same time, the higher cost of living has been in disguise, since there have been many advancements as well.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:42 PM »
Oh yes, advancements...  I just seen a quote on Pinterest that said something like, kids, dont make fun of your parents when they ask you how to use a computer because they taught you how to use the spoon..  l  lol
 I cant keep up with these advancements.  Every time they even update things it confuses me! 

Offline Kidless

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:52:50 AM »
I can remember my parents talking about the rising costs of things.  They complained that a loaf of bread would be over 50 cents before long.  I also remember that cigarettes were 35 cents per pack on my college campus and $6,000.00 for a new car was outrageous.  Times, they do change!

Offline Natasha

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
Those were the good times. It sucks, because every time you look around these days, the prices of everything is going up. It makes me regret not buying more things when they were cheaper.

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »
I can only think of two positive advancements that changed prices for the better.  The first is computer technology.  I remember when my family saved for a year in order to a desktop computer.  Now you can get cheap tablets, smart phones, and nice, affordable laptops with good warranties for a decent price. 

The second piggy backs off the first and that's the ability to pirate music.  Remember the days when you had to buy a crummy CD at the music store for one or two good songs.  I could never afford them. When pirating came to the masses, the music industry shaped up.  Now you can pay for the songs you like and there are plenty of legal freebies out there.[size=78%] [/size]

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
Oh yes, advancements...  I just seen a quote on Pinterest that said something like, kids, dont make fun of your parents when they ask you how to use a computer because they taught you how to use the spoon..  l  lol

I pity kids today.  I'm thankful I didn't grow up with Facebook or smartphones where your classmates or even their parents can make your life hell.  Where your parents' sins are laid out for the whole world.  Where jerk classmates can snap your photo while changing for gym and upload it on the internet.  Where any stupid thing you did as a teen would be seen by potential colleges or employers.  No, thank you. 

Offline MaryB

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
I agree and think I am the last group that does not have FB today!  To me it is the modern day party line!  Gossip line.. 
(no offense to those that like it, just my opinion)..   :dunno:

Offline Maggie

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
I don't do social media either, Mary B.  The whole idea weirds me out.  It's like inviting a bunch of strangers into my house, or me peeking into theirs.  Just uncomfortable.

I remember when eggs sold at .49-.69 for a large dozen.  Now, I try to catch them on sale just to pay less than $2.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:50 AM »
Now Maggie did you ever use a messenger, like yahoo messenger?   I use to love that because it was talking back in forth in real time, but no one uses it anymore because they want you to go on facebook, and like we said, it's not for us. 

Yes, to go to the store now just for milk, bread, eggs and butter takes a hunk of the weeks food budget now. 

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms