Empty Nest Moms

This is for general chat, if you are new to posting PLEASE make your first post in one of the topics below. Thanks!

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA†has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

Our Picture Gallery!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 1718 times)

Offline NanaBee

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2017, 03:25:01 AM »
What a great story this was - I just read the whole thread.
Congratulations on deciding to make the move. I am sure you will be very happy in your new home x

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2017, 03:25:01 AM »

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »
Thank you, I'm very excited but a little nervouse, mainly about the drive south by myself and my kitties but I have people I'll kind of check in with on the ride down. Just trying to find fee free pet friendly hotels/motels on the way...might just have AAA find them for me...too many websites to go through! This all just started basically in about September after I tried to sell my house in the summer and just stay in RI. I just found out that school was cancelled today because of a nasty storm we had last night knocked out lots of power where I work!?

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2017, 06:18:26 AM »
Good Morning Neale....so you had a snow storm already? I hope the weather is good when you get ready to leave to come down here. Is your friend not going to be able to come up there and drive back with you now? That's a long trip by  yourself. I would certainly get AAA to plan it out for you if possible, would help take some of the uncertainty out of it for you.

It is in the 30's here right now and suppose to be the same tomorrow morning so you do want a coat or two down here if you chill easily! One thing about Fl. is that it can be low 30's in the morning and high 70's in the afternoon! We're about 3 hours or so north of Maryb.

I'm sure  you will get everything all worked out by the time you get ready to leave. Keep us posted!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2017, 06:18:26 AM »

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2017, 06:25:46 AM »
Nope, nasty thunderstorm!?lol No, she'll be in school and her boyfriend I guess is just not interested. I have my AAA triptik but will depend on my gps to get me through seeing that AAA has me switching over to 95s after I get on route 81 but I'm going to take 75 from Knoxville, it will bring me closer to the Tampa area quicker. We will all have to get together and I can't wait! With the inspection on the 8th, I'm hoping that the appraisal will also go through well and right after the inspection, then I can leave! I was hoping that I was leaving the cold temps back up here!! Not sure if I should pack winter boots..might be good to have a pair on cold mornings when I have to go to work!! Thanks!

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
That's thoughtful of you to donate your warmest items.  I'd keep a coat or two just in case.  Are you planning to confine your cats?  I can't imagine letting them loose while driving on section of the interstate that I'm not familiar with. I put mine in a large cage with their litter box.  I put the ones together that like each other and the other one up front with me.  I slung a towel over each one to keep them calmish.  Mine mewed up a storm, but finally settled down.  I love triple AAA and feel much better traveling with them.  Glad to hear you have it too.

Gosh, are you moving everything yourself?  You mentioned free storage, but I'm unable to tell if you have movers coming.  I can't imagine doing all that alone.  You are one tough cookie!  I'm glad your neighbor has been helpful and that you got to see Chris.  From reading here I've realized that I'm more controlling of my offspring and need to ease up...maybe.

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Hi, I have 3 Fall/Winter coats plus 2 pair boots. I was debating on the traditional carriers or one large cage time thing with the cat box inside. I'll have to look at local stores but also take the dimensions of the inside of my car to see what will fit. I could never let them loose in my car but I don't like the traditional carriers, too small for such a long trip. I started looking for a few motels...it gets expensive when you add the fees for pets. I'm waiting until November 8th, after the inspection is complete to donate my winter gear and to also give work 2 weeks notice which will really mean one week of me being there and one week using up my personal days. No, I have a moving company with full service and my realtor will be at my house on moving day taking care of everything especially now because today I found out that I need to start my new job on November 27th!! The moving company is giving me 45 days of free storage which is a huge savings seeing that I'm moving basically a 4 bedroom house!?lol I have received my offer letter for the job too except that I'm not able to sign it electronically for some reason, so that should be taken care of tomorrow.So I'm planning on leaving on the afternoon of the 15th or very early morning on the 16th, take 2 days to get there, have the weekend off, start looking at houses then start working on the 20th. My realtor will also be at my house when I have the junk company come get one last load, after I've moved out. Tomorrow is another no school day due to the thunderstorm last night so I can use it to get organized for the trip. I'm trying to stay focused on one thing at a time because it's been crazy and now I'm leaving in a few weeks!? Chris just found a lovely new home to rent a room from, so I can breathe a little easier now! With him in Utah and my daughter in Spain, sometimes it's not easy but they are happy so it's my time to choose a happy life too! I definitely did not have a choice or say in my kids moving so far away..it just happened. I think we are all adjusting to mom leaving their childhood home but it's just not the same anymore. It's funny, my daughter wants me to take pictures of the house but it's not like it was when they were little...it's empty walls and tons of boxes and messy all over!!
 I just didn't expect this all to happen in 2 months!?lol

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
You've got me excited too.   :cute group hug:

I'm so glad you have a moving company and that you'll have some leeway in between with storage.  I've moved by myself and moved with a company - obviously the moving company experience was much, much better!  I think it's sweet that your daughter wanted pictures.  It is hard to let go of some things, but that's life.  You keep the memories in your heart and head and move on.  By the way, I can't wait until you complain about hot summers and humidity, because it's coming.  :rofl:

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »
Was it crazy when you had less than 2 weeks to go before you moved? I'm drained...I just want this part of the experience all over and I want to be down in Florida right now. The plumber had to come back, found a crack so more money but it looks like the issue has been solved. Having to spend 12 more nights in this broken down house is another reason that I wish I could be in Florida right now. The house is a mess from trying to figure out what to take and what I can take with me. I now have 3 soft sided cat carriers, one for each kitty that will just barely fit in my backseat but maybe that will keep them safer too! I have to start taking short drives with them so they will get used to being in the car. I just downloaded MapQuest onto my cell phone with directions to the hotel in Virginia and it also speaks the direction..almost like having someone riding along with me! I think I'm afraid of forgetting something then I have to remember that if I do forget something, it will come with the movers eventually or I'll have to go buy one at a store! I'm trying to keep my kitchen table as a place where I put things that have to go...medicines...school stuff..papers. How long did it take for you to get this all done!? I honestly don't know what to take pictures of in the house for my daughter because it's not like it was when she was here this past summer and definitely not like how it was when she was little. Tomorrow I'm hoping to donate tons of blankets, towels, and winter clothing. I'm also trying to organize all of the fragile things in one area of each room. I have coke, water, and snacks for the trip too. I think that the day I leave, I will just have to do it and not think about it emotionally or about leaving the house emotionally. Have to focus on the future which is getting to Florida :13:

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
Good morning Neale.....sounds like you are getting things under control! Good idea to take the kitties for rides in their carriers so they can get use to them. I know you have everything all planned out. You will be stopping in Virginia for the night on the way down? I'm sure the cats will appreciate the stop over! Just make sure you take your time and stop when ever you feel tired for a quick rest up.

Keep us posted (we feel like we are making the trip with you!) :)

Oh and yes as Quiet Adobe said, it won't be any time and you will be talking about how hot and humid it is down here!  :jiggly smiley:

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Good morning, at times I think I'm all set then I feel like I'm losing it, I guess it's part of a big move. It's just not easy staying in the house right now in it's current condition! The LaQuinta sounds like a nice place to stay. I'm trying to find calming spray for  my kitties but I am bringing a lavender spray which might do the same thing. My thoughts are to stop about every 2 hours of driving so hopefully I'll still make it to Virginia the same day. I think Atlanta  is half way to SCC from Virginia, so I"m going to look for a hotel around there just in case, maybe another LaQuinta! I just want to get down to Florida as soon as possible so I can relax a little before I start work! How is the weather today?

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
Your adventure sounds exciting.  I've been reading and reading and am on edge with you!  I imagine it is rough living out of boxes.   I've never had an issue traveling with cats, minus a bit of their "special singing."  I know some vets will give them medicine to help them relax if you need it.  I'm linking you to an amazing blog I've found. 
http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/moving-the-cats/19079
http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/dear-pammy-how-can-i-lower-my-cats-stress-from-moving/203
http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/dear-pammy-what-is-the-best-way-to-move-my-cats/34021

I want to warn you that Atlanta might be an expensive city to stay in and it's very, very large with lots of people, so it's easy to get lost there if you get off the interstate.  You might consider stopping at a hotel before or after instead. I feel like I'm giving you senseless advice when you likely know what you're doing.  I just know I needed a bit of help when traveling.

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
No, I definitely like your suggestion..I'm thinking now stopping at Chattanooga, Tn, if I have to stop...I think I'm just nervous about starting this trip so I hope I can trick my mind into thinking that I'm just taking 5  2 hour trips to Virginia!? lol Hope it works. I can also think about just getting through each state, one at a time. I did a trial run this morning with my kitties in the car and only 2 of them were crying and the loudest was my youngest but it did quiet down a bit after about 15 minutes. My other kitty was pretty much chilled out which helped me. I just finished 2 trips to donate things so now I'm down to what's going with me and/or the movers and the rest will be trash for the guy to pick up Tuesday. I will definitely look at the blog...it will help keep my mind busy and positive! Thank you!

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »
Hi nvgt16, read some of your post and looks like you were/are leaving for Fl. this weekend? Hope you got to leave when you wanted to and the drive went ok. Sounds like a big move for you by yourself with your kitties!! Wow, not sure I could do that on my own. Update us when you get a chance and how it is going. Good luck to you... :13:

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
Hi! I happily arrived in Florida this past Saturday in the afternoon, never to hopefully repeat that trip again! I'm very proud of how well my kitties did but for a few weeks we are staying at my friend's house until my house in RI sells and I can buy my new house down here! The sunrise was so incredible this morning and the weather is so much better than in RI even thought I will admit for a few hours yesterday it was getting a bit hot!!lol I've been to my school and might go back today to start setting it up..just waiting for a few other things to finish before I get my id and school laptop then everything will be all set. Today I'm going to venture out to the local neighborhood to check out the stores.

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
I am so happy for you, nvgt16!  You've been wanting to make that move for a while, but while others dream, you had the gumption to make it happen!  :cutecheerleader:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms