Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

Our Picture Gallery!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 28727 times)

Offline nvgt16

Downsizing
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
I came back near the end of April from basically a 2 week vacation to visit my daughter and her fiance in Spain! I knew the trip was going to be life changing seeing that my life has been the same for many years including living in the same house for 30 years. So when I came back home from the trip, I decided that it was time to downsize from my basically 4 bedroom Cape Cod home to something smaller. My home has been for sale for almost a week. I've already started packing but to do it by myself is a pain but I have no choice seeing that both my kids live thousands of miles away and I've been divorced since 2005. If anyone has any experience with downsizing, especially selling your home and buying another one as a single empty nester, please send me your hints to survive it all. There's been quite a bit of interest on my house but no showings or offers yet. I'm trying to stay sane but this is too stressful, especially doing it by myself. I've given some things away but I can't give more away until my daughter comes home next month for her vacation. And on top of me moving, this summer while she is home, there will be many bridal events because she will be getting married next year back in Spain!

Empty Nest Moms

Downsizing
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »

Offline MaryB

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
I sure do not envy you!  I can say that when you get thru this part you will be happy downsized.  But boy going thru this is a lot of work and to do it alone, oh me.... :(
For sure you will need to make piles, what goes to each child, and what is to give away.  Pack what you are taking that you can do without now.  Store your packed boxes somewhere, in the garage, a rented storage, somewhere that it is not cluttering up the house you are trying to sell.  Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!    :big hug smiley sign:

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »
Thanks! I'm putting things aside for my son even though he's not talking. Once my daughter can go through my stuff then it will go to my sister and the rest hopefully will then go to some coworkers or donated. I've packed over 100 boxes but I just started working on the basement and need to work on my garage. My biggest concern is actually getting my house sold and trying to find an affordable house and of course the timing between both transactions. I'm trying not to have a big mortgage seeing that I only have about 10 more years to work. My realtor believes that selling my current house and buying my new house will happen back to back but he can't show me houses right now because they go quickly and I need to sell my current home before I can buy my new house. Does that make sense to you? Trying to work, pack, and maintain the house in a minute's notice is driving me crazy.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
Oh yes, makes sense to me.  I was in your shoes a little over a year ago... :(

Listen,  ask about a 'bridge' loan.  It's where the bank will give you the money for the new place with the stipulation that they get the money from your house when it sells.  It kinda lets you look now without that tension of 'when will my house sell'.  It's worth talking about anyway, dont you think?

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »
Thanks, I will ask my lender about that! I had 2 surprise house showings today and they didn't like my driveway..it's on a hill and also that my house isn't upgraded...it basically says that in the info..so why bother coming where I have about 20 minutes to get my house ready and cats packed up...not going through this again. :-(

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »

Offline MaryB

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »
You know that saying you have to kiss 100 frogs before you find prince charming?  Well it's worse to sell a house I think..  People can be so rude and say things to hurt our feelings, like we asked them their opinion!   Cheesh..  like I said I dont envy you.  This is the hard spot.. 
 :big hug smiley sign:

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
I wasn't ready for all of this as I just returned from getting more boxes from Stop and Shop!? lol My neighbor who is selling his house..2 houses down..more expensive and fancier gave me some great advice..he said that with my house only having been on the market for a week, I shouldn't stress too much..he said that I should be more concerned if nothing is happening for 3 to 4 months. He also said that he and his wife haven't packed everything so I guess I've done a lot more than they have and I shouldn't worry so much. He also suggested that if somebody wants to see the house quickly that they should basically be putting in an offer or have them wait so you have 24 hours to get the house and yourself ready...I really like his advice. I'm so exhausted from today and I totally didn't get to have lunch until 5pm..not good. I did look for any open houses this weekend but I didn't see anything. Oh well.I've only been doing this for a week..and just because the first two couples didn't like everything about the house doesn't mean much really. Thanks again!

Offline MaryB

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
Great advise!   Yes, you cant take anything personal that's for sure.  I was starting to get offensive over the rude comments, and I had to stop myself.  It gets old real quick when your door is a revolving one.  I hope you sell yours quick and easy!  I'm glad you got done what you did, because you are doing it alone.  You cant wait till the last minute.  I'd rather be prepared as much as possible. 
Any chance when your daughter comes she will stay a while and help?

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
It's really old now just after one week of it being for sale....the work doesn't end. My daughter is coming home around June 22nd and she will definitely help me out from cleaning out stuff, to packing stuff, and I'm 100% sure she wants to go see houses with me. I kind of feel badly because this summer while she is home for a visit, it's about all of her bridal parties and stuff. But I really need and want to get into a smaller house, the sooner the better and I'm not always patient..I like to start something but get to the end of the project ASAP. I want to be settled into my new home before she heads back to her home in Spain. I totally HATE living from boxes..can't find stuff because you had to throw it into some drawer somewhere. My poor kitties were not pleased having to get put into my car twice...I need to bring more cat carriers down from  my garage storage up in the beams. I also can't wait until my school year ends on June 20th. I'm open to about 5 - 6 nearby towns but with not knowing how much I'm going to make off of the sale of my house, I'm trying to keep my actual loan for no more than $80,000 which is the same amount I could get if I sold my house for $285,000. I have a large modified line of credit to deal with. Thank you so very much for listening!!

Offline MaryB

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
I understand the stress you are under.  The way your property is how about not leaving the property?  Maybe going into the back somewhere not seen..  You'd still have to take your kitties but not quit as bad as leaving the property.  If the Realtor and the prospective buyers dont like that, tuff peanuts.  You should be the one making decisions too!  No way of making it easier on the cats, that I can think of.  Even to sit in your car with them maybe?
Yes, you know what you need and what you want.  Now for the pieces to fall into place FAST!  I'm with you...  low on patience. 

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
That's a good thought, don't think the realtor would like me hanging out. I have to believe that things will fall in place. Did you have to sell your home first before you bought your new home? I just don't see any possible home to consider even buying.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
Maybe not but anyone that is an animal lover would understand.  And you could stay out of sight, maybe in the back?  But something to think about.
I have a little 14 foot camper, so when my place sold we took off and came south, with the camper,  and was headed back to Texas, but stopped off in Fl to visit my brother, and well, here we stayed.  We stayed in the campground till the papers all went thru.  Moving is always stressful, but for you to be doing it by yourself is worse. 
Do you know the area you want to buy in?  That would sure help if you narrowed it down

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
I definitely don't have another place to go to for the showings so I drove down to a shaded area about 10 minutes away from my home. I just don't trust anyone with my cats especially after my daughter's friend lost one of my indoor cats when I came back from my trip to see my daughter in Spain last month. Fortunately I found my cat but she was alone and outside overnight..she must have been so scared. I'm so very lucky that she wasn't killed by an animal..I live a bit in the woods. I have 5-6 towns that I'm open to but I am not looking to move to a one bedroom one bath anything and definitely not a trailer home or a manufactured home or a shack on the ocean...or a gut job kind of house.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
I dont blame you one bit.  I dont trust my furbabies to anyone either!
Did you sign up to zillow.com or any of the websites?  They show a lot of detail...  what's the others...  shucks..  truila?  There are many..   It helps you do your own search.

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
I view my owner listing on Zillow but I follow more RI Living because the listings are current and on Zillow they aren't although it really doesn't seem to matter because I haven't found anything at all in my price range. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms