Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

Our Picture Gallery!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Missing my garden  (Read 3296 times)

Offline amsmomm

Missing my garden
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
I didn't put a garden in this year and I really miss it. I have been getting vegetables from coworkers but it's not the same. How is everyone's garden doing?

Empty Nest Moms

Missing my garden
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »

Offline MaryB

Re: Missing my garden
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
I have signed up ($5) for a 'how to grow vegetables in Florida' class.. does that tell you?    I have learned to self pollinate now, with a q-tip.  I learned that is why I didnt get any tomatoes and only one pepper on each plant!  I'm excited to learn how to grow things in sand.. lol 

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
Oh, I absolutely refuse to self-pollinate.  Not with a q-tip, not with a pipe cleaner. I'm not shaking the plant to help the pollen scatter either.  I know it's odd of me, but I'm just not doing it.  I'm the grower.  I plant the seed and make sure it grows. The birds provide pest control. The cats give us the fertilizer.  I mean, we all of our role to fulfill here. 

I don't use chemicals of any kind.  I plant native wild flowers throughout my yard and allow a portion of the lawn to grow to weed.  I also give bees, bats, moths, and butterflies places to live and raise their young.  And so far, they have fulfilled their duty to pollinate.  :tinypinkflowers:

Did you plant enough veggies for pollination to work?  I ask because one year I grew one tomatillo plant because I'd never  heard of it and wasn't sure if it would be  good.  I never set fruit and it drove me nuts. I tried everything to help it along.  I finally found out that they require a minimum of two plants to pollinate. That experience ended my side job of self-pollination.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
No bees here.  The neighbors, well most of them,  pay monthly poison sprayers to come spray their yards, and we assume that is why.  I didnt think cat poo was healthy, nor dog poo, to fertilize?  I hope that will be in the class I'm going to take.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »
I have never had this problem anywhere else, other than here, last year.  I have planted two plants and got more tomatoes (cherry) than I could eat..   so it's not the amount here that's the problem. 

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Well I just have to ask maryb, how on earth do you 'self pollinate'? And with a q-tip?? (lol, it sounds sooo personal!)

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline MaryB

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
hee hee  Elizabeth!   It's all over you tube how to do it with a q-tip or other ways, but you basically touch the middle of each flower with the same q-tip to 'self pollinate' since nature isnt doing it.   Veery personal!   :039:

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
LOL, Elizabeth beat me to it, was going to ask the same thing! It does sound a bit personal but if it works, so be it. Good to know though although I didn't plant anything this year may still and at least I will know what to do! :57:

Offline amsmomm

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
Wow! I learned some new things just by reading all your replies. I've never heard of self-pollinating. I don't think I would even try it. Interesting though!

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
Thanks Maryb I'll keep it in mind if/when I may need to do this. :)

Offline MaryB

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
You're welcome, Elizabeth...   I'm afraid it's to late for my cucs too..   something ate them up fast and bad...  I needed to dust them I guess...  shucks.. not having any luck with vegetables here. 

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 02:21:46 AM »
No bees here.  The neighbors, well most of them,  pay monthly poison sprayers to come spray their yards, and we assume that is why.  I didnt think cat poo was healthy, nor dog poo, to fertilize?  I hope that will be in the class I'm going to take.
The cats help fertilize the lawn by scratching it all up. I lay the compost down and pour the compost tea, they scratch it as I go.  I don't use manure of any kind to fertilize my garden.  I've seen too many episodes of Monsters Inside My Body.

I didn't think people were still spraying chemicals that harmed bees.  That's so odd. 

Gardening is so relaxing, isn't it.  What veggies have you planted, Mary B?

Offline MaryB

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »
I have cucumbers, tomatoes, green bell peppers and jalapenos.  This is the second year for the jalapenos and I am getting a good amount off of them.   I believe in natural fertilizers so I use fish and cow manure, but like I said I thought dog and cat feces were not good (sounds crazy but that is what I was taught)..  I do plan on asking a lot of questions at the class. 
How do you keep bugs from eating your plants?

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:33 PM »
Dog and cat manure are not okay to use as fertilizer.  I call myself a lazy gardener.  I'm more willing to let mother nature take its course I guess. I grow everything from heirloom seeds that are native to my area so they're hardy and withstand most pressures including pests. Oh, and I grow the easy veggies and berries in general.  There are no fancy veggies in my garden, so I can hardly brag.

I plant flowers and herbs that deter the pests in the first place like marigolds.  I also plant flowers that go to seed for the birds and keep their birdbath filled with fresh water.  They do a good job of picking off the pests.  I have a bat house (it was a gift) and the bats help with the mosquitoes.  If a plant has problems I just pull it up and dispose of it.  Not worth doing much else.  My biggest problems are probably the rabbits which insist on nibbling every tomato they can reach and the hot weather which is out of control.

I've been told that jalapenos are hard to grow, would you say that's true?  I hope your gardening class goes well!

Offline MaryB

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
My flowers are doing well,  it's the veggies for some reason, but the class is Saturday so I'm looking forward to it.
The jalapeno plants are from last year.  Last year they did not put out a lot but this year they are really produced well for me. 

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms