Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reading: A dying habit  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Jackie

Reading: A dying habit
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »

The complaint of people being glued to their cell phones is quite common, yet the situation seems to worsen. Along the same thread, I have noticed audio books now taking the place of regular books while video content continues to displace written content. I expect grammar to continue to deteriorate, as a result.

Offline cherie

Re: Reading: A dying habit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
True. I have never understood why of late, people are never getting tired of their mobile phones. Personally, I have been through a time when reading any sort of book did not appeal to me at all. However, I have started to get back to the habit of reading at least one book each month.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »

Offline SpotOn

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »
I'm still an avid reader. I seldom use my cell phone and never text. I cannot understand how people can just "hang" on their phones or be on their tablets constantly, oblivious to the outside world.

Offline amsmomm

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
I read all the time. I love the feel of a real book but I do read on my Kindle too. I will never stop reading! I notice that people are addicted to their phones too. It's very irritating.

Offline txzookeeper

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
I also read all the time.  I like regular books and I also like reading on my kindle.  My kids are always complaining because I tend to forget my cell phone at home a lot of time, but I don't feel tied to it like they do.  I do have an iPad that I play games on but I spend more time reading.  I read the newspaper, magazines and all kinds of books.  It is getting obvious that fewer people are reading though because grammar and spelling are atrocious now.  Free kindle books show it too.  We've done our best to make sure all the grandkids like reading though and it's been successful so far. I never understood people who didn't like reading because it takes you all kinds of places.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »

Offline Jackie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:24:32 AM »
I call reading 'armchair travel' as opposed to physical travel. It does take one to all kinds of places and times, as well. Some, like my brother, cannot ever fathom why I'd prefer that to the other. Oh well, the world goes round with all the different types.

Offline Moonlight

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »
I understand your sentiment. I, for one, can hardly part with my phone, be it for work or for entertainment purpose. I admit that it's not efficient to bring the books physically as we travel every day. I still read them at home when I have some free time.

Offline haidyl

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:09 AM »
I am constantly on my phone when there's nothing else keeping me busy. I feel that I need to read more since I used to be an avid reader back in the day. I am trying to figure out how to get my groove back; hope it won't take long. Any tips on how to remain consistent?

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:09 AM »

Offline Suzanne

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:18 AM »

The complaint of people being glued to their cell phones is quite common, yet the situation seems to worsen. Along the same thread, I have noticed audio books now taking the place of regular books while video content continues to displace written content. I expect grammar to continue to deteriorate, as a result.
I totally agree with you on that one. And the quality of ebooks and audio books has gone down a lot since the whole 'Indie' publishing happened, and now just anyone can publish anything online. It's really sad.

Offline Janeb

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
I can't say that I like Audio books but I do love my Kindle! I also like to read 'real' books but if we should be going somewhere for a few days or so, sometimes it is just more convenient to bring the Kindle then to carry two or three books along.

Not sure if this is the right topic but what are some of you reading now? Any good mysteries out? I also like some romantic novels with some mystery to it.

Offline txzookeeper

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »

Not sure if this is the right topic but what are some of you reading now? Any good mysteries out? I also like some romantic novels with some mystery to it.

I've recently read The Woman in Cabin 10, Commonwealth, The Pact: A Love Story, Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness, Sinister (Shaye Archer series), Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island, The Inn at Rose Harbor, Rose Harbor in Bloom and I'm currently reading the third in the Rose Harbor series.  I enjoyed The Woman in Cabin 10 and I liked Commonwealth but felt the author just kind of stopped writing and didn't feel there was a real ending to the book. I enjoyed all the others although I'm getting tired of the Rose Harbor series but figured I'd keep reading the last couple of books. 

I also like to take my Kindle on trips because it's so much lighter and I have access to a bunch of books on it.

Offline Janeb

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
Wow that's a lot of reading txzookeeper! Some of them sound really interesting. I haven't heard of the Rose Harbor series, will look into those. I did see The Woman in the Cabin 10 the other day but didn't get it. May go back for it. Thanks for the heads up on so many! And yes, those Kindles come in handy. :)

Offline txzookeeper

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »
Yes, I've really been reading a lot lately.  I just put the books on hold at the library or digital library and lately I've had a bunch available at the same time.  I hate to not get them and have to put them on hold a second time, so I've been reading quickly!

Offline haidyl

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 03:17:19 AM »
Reading is indeed a dying habit and as much as I used to be an avid reader back in the day, it has become a challenge of late to maintain a reading culture. I used to read at least two books monthly.

Offline Stitcher

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
Reading books may not be as prevalent as it once was, but book stores and libraries are still around. All is not lost my fellow book-worms.

Reading a book takes patience and concentration.......two attributes that are slowly fading away I'm afraid.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms