Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 2131 times)

Offline EdieB

Geocaching
« on: February 01, 2016, 03:18:10 AM »
Hi, all! I'm still trying to get used to the idea that Kiddo has flown the coop. Some days are better than others.

One hobby I've recently restarted (as time and weather allow) is geocaching. It's like a worldwide treasure hunt where you use a GPS device or a smartphone with an app to seek out little hidden containers, aka "caches," hidden in unexpected places. Or as a friend describes it, "I use multimillion-dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods." :) It gets me out of the house, (usually) into nature, and it encourages me to get a little exercise in.

Empty Nest Moms

Geocaching
« on: February 01, 2016, 03:18:10 AM »

Offline Kidless

Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »
I've never heard of this EdieB.  Please describe how it works.  In my younger days we used to go on scavenger hunts in our small town.  A bunch of us would get together and set out to find whatever was on the list.  We had lots of fun.  I'd love to hear how Geocaching works. 

Offline EdieB

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »
(Sorry about the wait, Kidless. I've been fighting off a bug this weekend.)

Well, to get started with geocaching, you first go to the website geocaching.com and create an account. (Basic accounts are free.) If you have a smartphone, you then download an app that allows you to find nearby geocaches; if you have a GPS, you can pull down a list of geocaching waypoints from the site. Then, get dressed for the weather and go out to search for a cache!

Here's an example of a fun cache I found during the annual Geocaching Block Party: the Chairy Tree. I won't explain too much about how it's hidden, just in case you live near Seattle and want to go find it, but whoever came up with the idea is pretty clever.

So, once you've found a cache, you need to sign the logbook you find inside it with your account name and the date. Then go to the app and mark the cache as found. If you have looked super thoroughly and you don't find the cache, it might have been muggled ("stolen" to non-geocaching types), so you need to indicate on the app that you didn't find it. That way the cache owner can go take a look and make sure the cache is still there and in good condition.

The thing I like the most about geocaching, aside from the sense of discovery as I find a cleverly hidden container, is all the great places it takes me. There are little nooks and crannies of wild space even in the largest towns, and local cachers help me find some of the most beautiful places that I never knew were there.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »

Offline CalamityJane

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
Oh, Geocaching is a great bit of fun! We started doing it with the kids, but now that they are in college, my husband and I go by ourselves. It's great exercise and a great way to spend time together doing something interesting!

Offline EdieB

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:55:04 AM »
I like the way my sister describes it: "If I'm just going to go for a walk, that's boring. But if I'm going for a walk and there's going to be a treasure box to find at the end... exciting!"

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:55:04 AM »

Offline Ava Lynn

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
A friend of mine was telling me about this a couple years ago. It sounds really fun and would be a great way to spend time with my daughter. Are there groups in every town that do this? I am going to go to the website and find out more info about this. Thanks for sharing!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms